top of page

Truck Permitting

Truck Permitting = Any Permit that is needed to run your Trucking Company - Oversized/Overweight Permits, Supplemental Permits for New York, Oregon, New Mexico and Kentucky. 

Oversize / Overweight Permits
Do you want or need to haul a big load?
Do you haul overweight or oversized items - occasionally or frequently?

WT Fleet can answer all your questions on what is needed to haul and/or get the needed permits.

We can provide all the state permits and needed resources for hauling those large loads. 

Supplemental Permits - State Use Tax Permits
There are 4 states that have supplemental taxes above and beyond the IFTA fuel taxes. 
They are:  Kentucky, New Mexico, New York and Oregon

Kentucky - 
Kentucky Weight Distance number (KYU) is required for any carrier over 59,999 pounds traveling in Kentucky.  If your company has a KYU, you will need to file your KYU quarterly taxes in order to keep your license in good standing.  The quarterly reports are due the last day of the month following the end of the quarter.  
New Mexico - 
NM WDT is the New Mexico weight/distance tax.  The registrants, owners and operators of most motor vehicles having a declared gross weight or gross vehicle weight over 26,000 pounds and who are using highways in New Mexico are subject to the weight distance tax (WDT) for use of the highways.  Companies must register and apply each year for a New Mexico Weight Distance Tax Electronic Permit for each vehicle.  These taxes are calculated and filed each quarter. 
New York - 
New York State imposes a highway use tax (NY HUT) on motor carriers operating certain motor vehicles on New York State public highways (excluding toll-paid portions of the New York State Thruway).  The tax rate is based on the mileage traveled and the weight of the motor vehicle.  A HUT certificate is required for any truck, tractor, or other vehicle with a gross weight in excess of 18,000 pounds.  If you have been issued a certificate of registration (except a highway use tax trip certificate of registration), you must file a highway use tax return even if no tax is due.  These NY HUT reports are required to be filed on a monthly or quarterly basis, depending on the carrier. 
Oregon - 
OWRATI is the Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier.  The Weight-Mile Tax applies to vehicles in commercial operations on public roads within Oregon with a registered weight over 26,000 pounds.
Motor carriers:  

  • With accounts, must carry an OWRATI tax credential and pay the weight mile tax on a tax report.

  • Without an account, must carry a temporary pass tax credential and pay the tax up front at the time of issue.

  • Are responsible for all vehicles holding tax credentials under the account, including leased or rented vehicles.

Reports are required to be filed either Monthly or Quarterly, depending on the carrier. 

Please contact us for more information or for help with Permits.

bottom of page